Date and Ginger Slice a la Lenore

I plan to make it my mission to rejig favourite recipes where I can, so they can fit into our 'under renovation' diet.

I plan to start with one of my favourites, a Date and Ginger Slice made for me by my dear friend Lenore who blessed me with a batch on my recent birthday. I haven't trusted myself with it, so have left it to hubby to dole out a tiny piece to have with my pre 9pm supper cuppa.



Given I am not sure when I will unveil a final rejigging, why make you all wait for such yumminess? So here is Lenore's original recipe for you:

Date and Ginger Slice a la Lenore

500g dates, deseeded and chopped
125g crystallised ginger, chopped
125g butter
1 1/2 tablespoons raw sugar
2 cups crushed cornflakes
1 Family Block of Cadburys Dairy Milk Chocolate

Line a lamington tray with two lengths of cling wrap - lay one lengthways and then the other over it widthways.

Melt the chocolate gently over boiling water or use the microwave but melt in smaller increments of time and stir in between to ensure chocolate doesn't burn or overcook.

In another large saucepan, melt the butter and sugar over boiling water. Once melted and hot, add the dates and ginger and stir well.

When mixed, add 2 cups of cornflakes, mix through well and pour into prepared lamington tray. (If you feel it isn't sticky enough, add some extra melted butter). Press down firmly.

Pour the melted chocolate over the top.

Tap the lamington tray several times on a bench to even out the chocolate and release any air bubbles.

Place the slice into the fridge to set.

When ready to cut into slices, it helps to bring to room temperature first.

Enjoy!!!

(Lenore's tip for gluten free - use gluten free cornflakes and expect to need a little more butter).

I hope that over the Easter break I will get an opportunity to play with this recipe and see if I can re-jig it at all to better fit our diet journey - a way to shed the guilt (or enjoy bigger slices?)


The song that came to mind is Ginger Man by Brian Cadd (1972).

3 comments

  1. I made the slice. It was delicious. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms Everett and welcome! Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

      Delete