Move Baby Move

Move Baby, Move! Get in the groove now ...

When you are trying to improve your health and kick some excess weight to the curb, it is inevitable that you have to move more. I knew I had to get some exercise happening after six years of largely sedentary life with work and study, and the closest I'd ever been to a gym was to walk (quickly) past its front door, using my turn of speed to hide my intimidation.  Hubby had blessed me with a smart watch for Christmas, so I was tracking my steps and trying to add as much extra walking into my day as possible, the words of my physio echoing in my ears - 'motion is lotion'. I had been a regular visitor to her practice since I began having back problems when my daughter was just a toddler. (I'll never forget the first occasion - I was in Westfields in Hurstville and I was bending down to show something to my daughter as she sat in her stroller and this burst of pain out of nowhere ensured that there was no way I was straightening up again any time soon!).

Anyone who has back pain knows what a curse it is.

I have to thank Facebook at this point because across my feed one day came a post about something called Body Groove. Given I was on the look out for something I could do at home, this seemed worth a look. I checked out the clip and I liked what I saw.

Body Groove is the invention of Misty Tripoli, who decided to create a form of dance based workout where the emphasis is on movement that feels good for each person. She believes that exercising should be 'fun, enjoyable, stress-free and relaxing". Hmmm. These are not words I would normally use in the same sentence ... I was intrigued.

She has created dance routines for dancers and non dancers alike. What I love about them is their emphasis on moving rather than getting steps right, and the focus Misty encourages on developing your own creativity in movement. Motion is lotion! 

I thought a good place for me to start was with her Young at Heart DVD, where those in the class ranged from the young and flexible to the older and less agile and everything in between. It looked safe enough and the flow on effect I have noticed is a greater confidence in the way I move generally, in terms of fitness, agility, flexibility and balance. I alternate the routines on Young at Heart with two other DVDs I purchased, Dance Your Heart Out and Delicious Dance and I have been very happy with my decision to give this a go. How many fitness DVDs have you done that remember to exercise little thought-of parts of the body, such as your fingers and your eye muscles?

Most of all, I like that they live up to their promise and really are fun. I look forward to "putting on a Misty" and getting my body groove on. Here's to a more flexible, confident me!

What works for you, to get you moving?

Song: This is where both the title and lyrics do it all - Move Baby Move, get in the groove now by Johnny O'Keefe. How on earth did he manage to sing it with his hands behind his back? Just give me a beat and I'll move. Go, girls!!!


No comments

Post a Comment