Weird is good

'Weird is good'. It's my motto of sorts.

So, imagine my "I must have it" moment when I saw this ...



Sadly, the image is a little blurred so not the best quality photo - but it was a significant moment for me.

'Weird is good" has been my response to my kids over the years when I would share something, say something or do something and the inevitable response would come - "Mum, you're weird!". It was my way of saying that I was okay with their response. I didn't feel any pressure to suddenly become 'unweird' in their eyes - and there's no such word by the way - perhaps it was my way as a mother of not folding to peer pressure. Weird and I have become good friends. I see it as my personal synonym for individuality, so seeing this sign in the window of the delightful Mad Hatters in Crookwell was like discovering there was someone else in this world that appreciated weirdness enough to create it.

It seems to take way too many years in a lifetime to stop worrying about what other people think of you. Am I there yet? It's probably fair to say I've come a long way, but it's just as fair to say I've still got a ways to go. I am however learning to better celebrate my identity, to be thankful for the me that God created and not to put myself down as a matter of course.

To have this 'motto' in a prominent place on my wall is my reminder that who I am is okay.

Stay Weird - Viva la difference!

Song for this occasion: Cyndi Lauper was the epitome of different when she released her 1983 album She's So Unusual. What an appropriate collection to house the perfect song for a post about 'staying weird' and being encouragingly yourself - True Colours.


No comments

Post a Comment