Finding Your Creativity

I have just experienced a week of peace, camping with friends on the banks of the Murrumbidgee River. No agenda, no time constraints, just glorious weather for relaxing alongside a flowing waterway, glistening in the sun by day and shimmering under an amazing full moon by night.

Bliss.



When I'm away from the everyday it becomes easier to give myself permission to enjoy pastimes I love, one of which is reading. The riverside was a perfect place to enjoy my latest book purchase - Healing Through Creativity.


Creativity has been an interesting journey for me. There was a time when I labelled myself 'creatively challenged'. It was my way of making fun of myself, but underneath my banter lay a heavy truth – that when God was spreading the gold dust of creative ability amongst His children, He remembered my grandma, my mum, my best friend and my daughter, (especially my daughter!) but somehow, He had skipped me.

I took this mindset along with me when I did a course in 2004 called Healing through Creativity. Laid out before us was a treasure trove of creative activities and we were given permission to simply go nuts.

Well I did go a little nuts I guess, but not in the kid-in-a-candy-shop kind of way as many others did. I turned into a grumpy old curmudgeon, and I wasn’t happy with anything I tried to do or make. Why had I signed up for this? What else did I expect? After all, I knew I was creatively challenged! When the time came for testimonies, and all around me waxed lyrical about what God had done, I knew I had to set them all straight. I shared in no uncertain terms what an awful few days I had experienced.

It was then that the teacher came alongside me, put her hand on my shoulder and gently asked:

“So when did you realise your spirit was crushed?”

My spirit was what?

Through some of the courses I had done, I had begun to get used to the idea that I had a spirit - but I had no idea it could be crushed - or the churn of emotions I was feeling could be connected to it. But once I got the hang of the idea and could understand how the damage had happened, I was able to let God in. The result was a restoration of our spiritual connection and an outpouring of creativity. Suddenly I couldn't get enough opportunities to create and looked for outlets for this everywhere.

That turning point for me was 17 years ago, yet I remain fascinated with how that spiritual connection impacts our creativity. If the Spirit-to-spirit connection is dodgy or damaged as mine was, creativity is less likely to flow. That poor connection allows for a truckload of negative self-talk, (remember 'I'm creatively challenged'?) and the soul (our mind, will and emotions) takes charge and responds with any number of defensive strategies – withdrawal, belligerence, criticism, scorn, self-doubt, envy of those more capable or finding any excuse not to create.

But, once the connection is repaired – just like replacing a mangled car aerial with a brand new one - suddenly, God comes through loud and clear - and so does your creativity. Now, it's just as much a part of me as breathing.

I chose to take some jewellery-making supplies with me on holidays and it was a great spot to play.


A friend recommended to me a book called The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron. The author sets out to take readers on a journey to discover and recover their creative selves. People ask her how she can teach creativity and she’s honest in saying she can’t. But what she can do is to teach people to let themselves be creative. She says:

“I have seen blocks dissolved and lives transformed by the simple process of engaging the Great Creator in discovering and recovering our creative powers”.

It’s all too easy to backslide or talk ourselves out of our creative inheritance. I realise how much the enemy still hisses negativity or self-doubt into my ears – Julia Cameron appropriately labels these ‘blurts’. What a great word, it gives me a picture of mud being thrown at a window and landing with a splatter. I have to take those blurts, those lies, and turn them into a truth from God that is personal for me.



Are you surrounded by discouraging naysayers? Have blurts from others throughout your life sold you the lie that you’re not creative? Or are you your own worst enemy?

There are gardens to be planted, houses to be built, stories to be brought to life, crafts to be enjoyed, photographs to be taken, dances to be delighted in, music to be played and lives to be lived creatively. How much better to revive your spirit, get it better connected to God and live the life He planned for you, even before you were fearfully and wonderfully made?

And what about the lady who asked me that question all those years ago about my spirit being crushed? She has finally put all her wonderful experience and knowledge in this area of healing through creativity into book form - her name is Fiona Horrobin and it was her book I was enjoying by the side of the meandering Murrumbidgee.

 

If creativity is an area where you feel challenged, I can recommend both Healing Through Creativity and The Artist's Way.

You have nothing to lose but your blurts!

Tracey 💥

Whenever I think of peaceful waters, I'm always taken to Chris de Burgh and his beautiful Where Peaceful Waters Flow. You may better know his song Lady in Red, but as a long time fan, it's probably my least favourite. I went to one of his concerts when he came to Australia too many moons ago now. What a fabulous live performer. This version isn't the original from his album as there doesn't seem to be a clip of that, but you'll get the idea. 

With thanks to:

MichelleStill Creates from Pexels for ‘blurts’ photo

The Youtube channel of digitalmediafan for Chris de Burgh - Where Peaceful Waters Flow
 



2 comments

  1. Thanks for sharing. Very thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms Everett, lovely to hear from you :)

      Delete