Astounded

But as mercy opens my eyes, my words are stolen away with this breathtaking view of your grace ...

I became a Christian at 35. Not that I hadn't grown up knowing about God and Jesus. I was taught to pray as a little girl and God was much more a normal part of school life back then - I can remember school assemblies where we would say "I honour my God, I serve my Queen, I salute the flag". (God Save The Queen was the national anthem then - yes, showing my age). I went to Sunday School and a Christian group for girls called Rays, which met on Friday afternoons in the church where I was christened, Kogarah Methodist. Compared to kids nowadays, that's probably quite a bit of input about Jesus. I certainly believed there was a God, but as I grew into adulthood I was probably more what I would call a Sunday Christian. I was happy to go to church, but I wouldn't say I had a personal relationship with Jesus. I'm not sure I was even aware that such a thing was possible.

Fast forward to 1999 and that's when I would describe becoming a Christian for real. (Gives new meaning to 'We're gonna party like it's 1999' - thanks Prince!). It was from this time that I began to learn more about this Saviour who, though He had died for me so long ago was still somehow able to be with me in the present day. And not only was there Jesus, but this was the ultimate package deal - three for the price of one! Along with Jesus came his dad, the 'big G' Father god, as well as the Holy Spirit (who I remembered from Methodist parlance as the Holy Ghost). I liked Spirit better, I've never been a fan of ghosts, though I did love Caspar the friendly one as a kid.

 The three of them together are called the Trinity, and sometimes it does your head in because trinity  means three, yet this is three in one. So they are one, but still distinctly three. I think I'll just leave that there as that's a whole other post in itself and it's Good Friday and I digress ...

As I began to learn more about the Trinity and what they were to me, that I could actually have a relationship (as in dialogue, two way communication kind of relationship) everything began to change in my life and the life of my family. There's a reason why people call coming to a faith in Jesus being 'born again'  because it was like a rebirth.

One of the key gems I remember from that time was something said to me by one of my dear friends, Fiona. I had begun listening to Christian music, and a prominent recording artist was Steven Curtis Chapman. He had released an album called Speechless and Fiona shared that when she listened to the title track it reminded her of me, and my journey towards faith.

Thanks Fi. I've never forgotten your words or this song, and it holds a special place in my heart. So much so that when I felt challenged to create a scrapbooking layout on how I felt about my faith, Speechless was where I turned.


Good Friday is the perfect day I think to share those wonderful lyrics with you.

Words fall like drops of rain - my lips are like clouds
I say so many things, trying to figure You out
But as mercy opens my eyes, my words are stolen away with this breathtaking view of Your grace

And I am speechless
I'm astonished and amazed
I am silenced by Your wondrous grace
You have saved me, you have raised me from the grave
And I am speechless in Your presence now
I'm astounded as I consider how you have shown us a love that leaves us speechless ... 

So what kind of love could this be, that would trade heaven's throne for a cross?

And to think You still celebrate over finding just one who was lost
And to know You rejoice over us, the God of this whole universe!
It's a story that's too great for words

Oh how great is the love the Father has lavished upon us, that we should be called son and daughters of God?

And we are speechless, we're astonished and amazed
We are speechless ...

Here is a live performance of the song to bless you on this Good Friday - Speechless. It's a long time since 1999, but I remain astonished, amazed and truly astounded all these years later. May it always and ever be so.

Tracey 💞

No comments

Post a Comment