Love affair with bagels

Ahhh bagels.

In my pre-body renovation days, my breakfast was half a bagel spread with a combination of butter, Vegemite and honey (for which I blame my South African friend Louis for introducing me to the delights of combining salty and sweet in the one dish). I would also sprinkle on top a teaspoon of LSA - a mix of linseed, sunflower and almonds ground into a meal. LSA is relatively easy to get in Australia, but I do recall being looked at with great incredulity when I attempted to buy the same in the UK. Another reason to think Australians are weird seemed to be written across the shop owner's face.

There is something about this chewy bread-based creation known as the bagel that really speaks to me. It seems agreed that the bagel had its origins in Krakow, Poland as early as 1610, and apparently a similar Polish bread called obwarzanek (which looks like a skinny bagel, more like a large edible ring) dates back to 1394. Eastern Europeans immigrants brought the bagel with them to America and it stayed within predominantly Jewish communities until the 1970s, a time when the popularity of 'ethnic' food was on the rise. It is very much now an item associated with New York, retaining its Jewish connections. I know I have some Jewish ancestry - not sure about Poland though, might have to do an ancestry DNA test for that one. Whatever the source of the emotional connection, the strength of it made bagels one of the first things I tried to make using my breadmaker to mix the dough. Once the dough was done I could divide it up and shape it into the familiar donut shape, and boil them first before baking. A true bagel isn't true unless it has been boiled - the boiling gives it that shiny outside which adds so well to its chewy texture.

Why make my own?

I have veered away from foods made with white flour for years now, so buying supermarket bagels was not a happy adventure, as bagels made with anything other than white flour was pretty much unheard of. If I wanted wholemeal it meant making my own, and having the breadmaker do the dough mixing for me was a bonus. I gave it a go and was pretty chuffed at how they turned out, even if I do say so myself.

On a recent trip up the mid north coast, hubby and I visited the familiar stomping ground of Port Macquarie, fondly remembered as the place where we spent the first year of our married life. The town has just about doubled in size in every possible way since then, and now there are a plethora of traffic lights to keep the single one company that adorned the town when we made it our home.

One thing we did discover to my joy (yes, joy - I know, small things ... ) was an amazing store known as Black Market Bagels. The word 'bagel' lassoed me at first glance, and this was one occasion where my low carbs body renovation went deliciously on hold - if only for a short window of time.

Here is a shot of what greeted us inside - a little glimpse of bagel heaven ...

There were also Hot Cross Bun and Pizza flavours, but I couldn't fit them all in shot!

The choice was overwhelming, but I opted for the healthy option of the multigrain bagel, prepared as a 'Reuben' with the traditional ingredients of the famous American grilled sandwich by the same name - that being corned beef, swiss cheese, sauerkraut and a Russian dressing. (To search for the American origins of the Reuben is to court the same controversy as the origins of the bagel, so I just call it American and enjoy it - big time!).

My Reuben bagel was all packed up for me (nestled invitingly amongst a generous serving of bagel chips - you do eat with your eyes first!) and we headed south to another favourite spot to enjoy our lunch - the waterfront at gorgeous Lake Cathie. Such peaceful and glorious surroundings full of many family memories, in which I could enjoy with my little slice of bagel heaven.



Do you go to the trouble of reviewing the places you go on social media? I think this is important, everyone deserves feedback - though I do think if it's negative feedback this is better given in person. I was very happy to post a review for Black Market Bagels and the owner (who was a lovely chap) thanked me for my post. If you're up Port Macquarie way (and why wouldn't you be, it's one of the best holiday addresses around), then give those bagels a try - though you'll have to venture into the industrial area to find them. I promise you, it's worth it.

If you're keen to try making your own bagels, let me know! I'll put up my Wholemeal Bagel recipe in an upcoming post. I want to experiment in future with adding rye flour to the mix - a good "Reuben" sambo should be on rye bread, after all.

When I considered the Jewish origins of the bagel, I was reminded of the first time I realised that 'Oy vey' was a Yiddish expression of 'woe is me'. When I was a kid, I was a big fan of the sitcom McHale's Navy, and I can remember cast member Fuji often using the expression - so I always thought it was Japanese! As I hear the theme music again and enjoy these clips, I'm taken back to that 5pm timeslot and dinner time in my childhood home. They were wonderful, innocent times, despite being bagel-free and heavy on the white bread. (What kid ate brown bread?) I hope you enjoy these blasts from the past ... 

McHale's Navy Opening Credits 
Ernest Borgnine Remembering McHale's Navy 
Tim Conway Remembering McHale's Navy
Oy vey!

Tracey 😋

References:
A Brief History of the Bagel from the Smithsonian
A Short History of the Bagel 

With thanks to YouTube channels:

A Purpose Driven Life 
CrazyAboutTV
Price Small








No comments

Post a Comment