Strawberry Chia Jam

I may have thought that changing our diet would be produce a life somewhat lacking in sweetness, but I'm delighted to say I was wrong!

I have mentioned previously that hubby and I have been utilising Dr Michael Mosley's books as a resource for changing our diets, and his wife Dr Claire Bailey has written several recipe books to show how to put the dietary principles into practice. This recipe for Strawberry Chia Jam comes from her.

Here are the ingredients:

Strawberry Chia Jam

25g soft pitted dates, diced - or 2 tbsp date syrup
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
250g ripe strawberries, hulled and chopped (250g is normal punnet size)
1 tbsp chia seeds

I wasn't familiar with date syrup, but went in search for it in the supermarket. I checked out the ingredient list, expecting to be putting it straight back on the shelf as I thought it would be full of sugar. I was pleasantly surprised to discover just one ingredient was listed - dates.

Strawberries are not always at their cheapest, but frozen berries can be used, so if you buy fruit when it is in season and freeze it, it can be defrosted when you're ready to make the jam.

Chia is an amazing little superfood! It's a good source of protein, omega 3 fatty acids and fibre, as well as having the ability to absorb several times its weight in liquid, and take on the flavour of whatever it is added to. The jam that I made isn't as thick as the store bought variety, though you can experiment with adding extra chia which is suggested if you like a little thicker consistency. I was pretty chuffed with it as it was, but will likely try it with a bit more chia next time just to check out the difference.

I gently heated the date syrup and vinegar in a small saucepan. If I use chopped dates - quite likely in the future as hubby has fallen in love with them! - I would need to add 2 tbsp of water as well, and stir it all together to get a slightly lumpy paste.

I added the chopped strawberries and cooked all over a low heat, for five minutes.


I took the pan off the heat and stirred in the chia seeds, mashing them into the strawberry mix with a potato masher. 



I spooned the jam into two small preserving jars, the ones with the rubber seals. I waited until it was cooled before putting the lids on. The recipe says that the jam can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week, but I have to say that storing it in these jars has enabled me to still be using it from the fridge at least a month after making it.


You can use it as you would a jam - as a spread, or a topping for scones. I have very much enjoyed it dolloped on top of plain yoghurt, along with a sprinkling of shredded coconut, or adding it to my breakfast bowl if I don't have any fruit on hand.

So, this has become my new jam! I hope you give it a go and enjoy the results too.

If I put 'jam' and music together, what always come to mind for me is the musical Fame, and the excitement of Hot Lunch Jam. In my (very much) younger days I was part of a music studio that performed a dance routine to this piece - and I remember being given a run-into-the-splits to do. My knees hurt just thinking about it now - I was no dancer, but gee it was the best fun! I also enjoyed the TV series that spun off from the movie, great memories. Enjoy Hot Lunch Jam, remember those leg warmers, and know your knees will emerge unscathed!

Tracey 🍓

With thanks to You Tube Channel Little Shop of Musicals





No comments

Post a Comment